What are superfoods?
They are foods that can take your health to the next level. When food is classified as a ‘superfood’ it means that it is packed with more nutrients and health benefits than most other healthy options. It is no wonder so many people swear by them.
How can this help you in your paleo journey? It’s simple math really, when you add two or more amazing things together you get better results. For instance, the paleo diet is great for overall strength and health, while superfoods tend to be rich in nutrients and other extremely healthy things.
When you add superfoods to your already healthy paleo diet, you will be supercharging your healthy efforts.
And starting can be easy, just adding one superfood to each meal is enough for you to see a difference in your health – as long as it is paleo friendly of course.
What superfoods should you be adding to your healthy lifestyle?
- Blueberries– Packed to the brim with vitamins, soluble fiber and phytochemicals these little blue specks can be your new best friend.
But don’t discount the other members of the berry family, cherries, cranberries, blackberries and strawberries are also important for your body. To get the healthiest berries you can find, always choose organic.
- Kiwifruit– kiwi is an easy way to increase your intake of important vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K. But the benefits of kiwifruit doesn’t stop there, you also get a healthy dose of calcium, magnesium and antioxidants. But one of the best, and often overlooked, things about kiwifruit is that it acts as a mild laxative, which is essential for cleaning the body.
- Kale– love it or hate it, kale is a great super food. Not only does it have vitamins and calcium but when it becomes part of your everyday life it can also reduce your cholesterol.
- Salmon– because they contain omega-3 fatty acids, salmon are considered an essential superfood by many. When you eat it, you are lowering your chances of stroke and heart disease, two silent killers that change thousands of lives every year.
- Coconut oilis very nutrient dense and makes a superior cooking oil. It’s high in short and medium chain fatty acids which are more easily digested. It is thought to be helpful for boosting metabolism and the immune system.
These are just a few of the super-foods that can make a difference in your new paleo life. While some of these foods, like salmon, can easily be staples of the paleo lifestyle there are others, like kale, are not always given the attention they deserve.